This post is long over due and I was thinking about not posting about it at all but I promised Becky pictures of this so here goes! A few weeks ago I walked out of my doctor's appointment and the sky was really dark and it raining lightly. By the time I drove down the 3 stories of the parking garage the wind had picked up and it was raining so hard that even with my windshield wipers going full blast I couldn't see a thing. I heard on the radio the tornado warning and severe thunderstorm warning for our county so I decided to just sit in the parking garage for awhile. Luckily, the wind and rain died down after about 45 minutes and I was able to drive home. The drive from my doctor's office to our apartment usually takes 10-15 minutes but this time it took me an hour to get home! Anyway, we ended up losing our power for 48 hours. Thankfully, we have some great friends who let us hang out at their houses during the day so we didn't have to deal with our hot and muggy apartment. I have no idea how anyone lived in the south before air conditioning! Here's some pictures of the damage from the storm. Most of them aren't that great since I was driving and trying to take a picture at the same time.



You can't see it in the picture but this tree that is fallen over is on top of a house!

This was a common sight - huge trees, completely uprooted.

Zach and I got creative the second night we slept in our apt. without air conditioning! Those are little hand held battery powered fans tied to shoe laces that we hung above our heads. Unfortunately, they're not meant to last for more than 3 hours at a time!

5 comments:
i love the fans. That is great :0)
ahh..the south. I remember this well. During hurricane season our power was constantly out. After the first hurricane it was out for a week. Love that humidity. Luckily after that it would only be out for 3-4 days.
that is exactly how i imagined your fans looking! I'm glad you didn't get in the tornado's path!
hahaha i love the littel fans about the beds!
What are your thoughts about the storms we get out here? I'm terrified...like last night we had a very loud and windy hour or so. Lightning struck our big tree in the backyard, and we now have a new project for the weekend...try to get a huge branch cut out of the middle of our tree, and hope it doesn't fall on the house! Glad you were save in the parking garage!
Post a Comment