



So I thought I would take a shot at this whole blogging thing. This past week has been quite eventful for us. Zach had his first 2 quizzes which he aced both of them! He is currently studying for his first test that he has tomorrow. He is loving school which is great! On Thursday night all the optometry vendors from the area came to the school and gave away a bunch of free stuff. They also had discounted glasses and sunglasses there. Too bad we don't wear glasses...but we did get free dinner! Zach's name was called from the raffle 5 minutes after we left...he was so sad when he found out. We're not quite sure what it was he won but it was something like an ipod. Friday was Homecoming at the school which consisted of games, selling popcorn, and free BBQ-pulled pork sandwich, beans, and slaw aka coleslaw. You can always count on having BBQ at events in Memphis. I hope I get used to it because I'm not a big fan of BBQ.
I started my job on Monday and have come to realize that I have a lot to learn if I am going to stick with this. I feel like I'm going to a funeral everyday while I get ready since we have to wear all black. I look forward to my days off so I can wear some color! :) I mainly will be doing all the pre-testing on the patients for the doctor. When I'm not doing that I'll be ordering contacts, helping customers find glasses, helping patients insert and remove contacts (which I practiced doing on myself at work and was surprisingly good at it), and many other things that I'll learn about. I'm hoping that I will enjoy the job more when I don't have to ask so many questions. The 20 minute drive to work isn't too bad because I never hit rush hour but the drivers out here are seriously crazy. We found out tonight that no one has left SCO without getting in at least one wreck...scary!
Last night Zach and I went to a Colombian restaurant...which we will never do again. It was just a little too authentic for us. It's a good thing that Zach is fluent in Spanish since the entire menu was in Spanish and the waitress only spoke broken, southern English. Zach made a funny comment last night that Memphis is probably not the ideal place to learn English. When we left the restaurant last night I was shivering. Guess what the temperature was? 75 degrees. What has happened to me? We've only been here a month and I've adapted to the heat. I guess that is good but it will be hard when we go home for Christmas!! We actually slept with our windows open last night. It was nice to have some fresh air in our apartment.
So one thing that is very different here than back home is customer service. It is amazing to me how incredibly slow people are. There will be 10 people in line at a store and the cashier won't even try to hurry. All the while there will be 3 or 4 other employees standing around doing nothing. It is really weird. It took us over 15 minutes to get checked out of Ross last night. There were only 3 people in front of us with not a whole lot of merchandise. This will definitely take some patience on my part to get used to it.
I don't want to end on a complaining note so I will finish with the best news of the week. Zach surprised me with tickets to see Fall Out Boy, Gym Class Heroes, and Plain White T's in concert on Mud Island in October! I am so excited for this concert!! It is going to be amazing! Three of my favorite bands all in the same night! We miss home but we love Memphis for the most part. It is such a fun city and there is so much to do here. We would love some visitors though :)

5 comments:
Maybe some day he will buy you tickets to a butt rock concert! Then you would really be excited. We all know it's your favorite but you're a little scared to admit it.
Wow it sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun!! That's so awesome!! But I can't believe you don't like BBQ Nikky! MMmmm...I love BBQ..we should move to Memphis! Good luck with learning everything at your job, that can be so stressful, but pretty soon you'll be pro and you'll wonder how you ever didn't know it all. :) Anyway, good to hear from you guys!! Keep having fun!
I didn't know you could get fresh air down in Memphis...
you guys really need to update your blog.
What happened to the white coat pics? How's the job Nikky?
Post a Comment