Thursday, February 7, 2008

Living in tornado alley

So last Tuesday we learned what it is like to live in tornado country. The weathermen kept saying that we were at risk for really bad weather. It was hard to believe because the temperature was in the 70s and it was sunny most of the day. They let all the kids out of school early because of the risk...I couldn't believe it. The doctor I work for had us reschedule all of our afternoon appointments and then he left around 4:00 and told Katie and I that if the weather looked like it was going to get worse to leave early. Well, the weather changed way too fast for us to get out early. Seriously, we looked out the window at 4:30 and it was a little windy and about 10 minutes later you couldn't see the sun, the wind had picked up and it was pouring rain. So, we turned the news on on our computer and listened as the weathermen said a terrible storm was heading our way and there had already been sitings of a few tornadoes! We ended up getting stuck at work because there was a tornado heading straight for Midtown (where I work) and there were already a few in the Bartlett area (where we live). Katie and I just sat in the break room with the news on full blast in the front so we could hear where the tornadoes were heading. Somehow, it completely missed Midtown (thank goodness!) and we decided to try going home because the one in Bartlett had moved also. It was pretty scary...the whole time I was driving home the guy on the radio kept saying to take shelter if you were in Shelby county and to definitely get out of your cars and mobile homes. The rest of the night was filled with more warnings but we were safe!

It's crazy how fast the weather changed though. We went from a tornado watch to tornado warning to a tornado emergency all in about 35 minutes! The weathermen say that it is the worst storm to hit Memphis in 34 years. There is quite a bit of damage in Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas and unfortunately over fifty deaths. I decided that I really don't like the sound of tornado sirens. Anyway, that was our exciting adventure for the week!

5 comments:

Dave L said...

so, who took that picture?

Zach and Nikky said...

Someone who lives here...neither of us took it.

Kirsten said...

Hey, it's good to hear that you guys are okay. I heard about all the tornadoes and immediately thought of you two! I'm just happy to see that you didn't get hit at your work or house!

nat & ben said...

It's good to here you guys made out ok. We are so excited to see you guys in a couple of weeks.

Katie Fish said...

WOW! How fun and exciting and scary all at the same time...you probably didn't think it was fun at the time...but it sure sounded like an adventure! :) Glad you guys are safe!