Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July

Zach and I both love the 4th of July! It's like Christmas all over again, just without presents, trees, snow, and okay, so maybe not quite like Christmas but it's just as much fun! We were pretty bummed to not be able to go home for the 4th and miss out on the annual Rockwood party and Melaleuca's amazing firework show.

Well, this year we got together with a bunch of friends here in Memphis and had a BBQ at the Rudd's house. Thanks again guys! After wards, we all headed downtown to watch the firework show on the Mississippi River.

What a beautiful sunset huh?


Some of the optometry nerds...Brandon, Jason, Zach, Adam, and his son Cameron.

It was a cool experience to watch fireworks by the Mississippi. The best part was that we didn't have to stake out a spot and sit in the blazing heat all day! It made the day much more enjoyable. We showed up about an hour before the show started and we got seats right in front of where they shot them off. It was awesome!


The firework show was very cool. It didn't seem as long as the IF fireworks but nothing can compare to those, could they? :) Yes, that is a street lamp in the picture. We all were surprised that they left all the street lamps on during the firework show, but of course, we were in downtown Memphis...I don't think I would have wanted them to turn them off! Don't worry family, only 2 people were rushed out in an ambulance from gun shot wounds from where we were. No joke. The news says that the police believe they were hit by "celebratory" gun shots. How sad.

Anyway, we had a great 4th of July with our friends out here! We missed being around all the family but we are anxiously waiting for next weekend when Zach's dad comes to visit!! :)

12 comments:

Haylee said...

Sounds like a good 4th in Memphis!! How scary about the gun shots though... haha I don't know if I should read these things before I move there! yikes!! What can ya do though right?!

Anonymous said...

the optometry nerds? I love it Zack is a nerd! Looks like the fireweorks were fun, I'm sure without us there it was pretty much worthless :) I miss you Sexy!!!!

Kristi Clinger said...

It sounds like a beautiful scene to watch the fireworks over the river.
I will agree with you on the firework show in IF. We went the one year that we were in Idaho and it was the best one we've seen by far. Eric and I were talking about that ourselves. Happy 4th.

Tiff Rudd said...

WHAT??? I didn't hear about the gun shot victims!! Yikes!! Glad it wasn't closer to us! Well, at least we had fun...it is always great spending time with you guys! Let's make it an tradition.

P.S. That picture of you two by the river is fantastic!

'Ole Lisa said...

How neat! I am so glad that you enjoyed the holiday. I love the new colors on your blog. I love you two!
Aunt Lisa

Amber said...

Hey Just wanted to say hi! My name is Amber by the way I'm an old friend of the Oswalds so Nikky you don't know me but Zach does. ha ha Anyway I just added you guys to my blog! I hope things are going great for ya, have a great day!

Hailey said...

Umm, no one got shot by our firework spot, but it was still pretty cool. You also got better pictures than I did. That's pretty cool that we have matching blogs now. You have excellent taste!

Roger and Victoria said...

Wow - sounds like you guys are having so much fun! That is awesome!! We miss you guys!

Steven and Whitney said...

Hey! Looks like you had a fun fourth of July. So when we were sending invitations out, somehow Steven lost your address. Could you please get that to me. Thanks, Whitney

Katie Fish said...

What a fun day! And what's a fourth of july firework show without gun shots?? :)

Kelly Munns said...

what a great fireworks picture! mine never turn out so i just stopped trying. you are so hilarious. i love reading your posts. i especially love the "just like christmas...oh wait no it's not" bit.

shhluke said...

That sounds so fun! I wish we'd been here to party too. By the way, I have no idea when you changes your blog but I love the new look.