Sunday, July 20, 2008

Lyndon visits Memphis

Last Saturday Zach and I drove up to Nashville to pick his dad up, who had been at a conference all week. I guess Nashville and Athens are "sister" cities so they built an exact replica of what the original Parthenon looked like right in Nashville. We went there on our anniversary trip in February but this time we went inside and this is what we saw...
The largest indoor statue in the United States is of Athena in the Nashville Parthenon! It is HUGE. We spent some time looking at all the other drawings and sculptures inside and then drove back to Memphis. That night we took Lyndon down to Beale Street. We were finally able to see the "flippers" there. We had heard so much about them but had never had the chance to them. Here's a video Zach got of them. In the background is an Elvis impersonator. :)




Can you see Lyndon's sweet hat? :)
Cool shirt huh? This is just goes to prove that I have the most awesome father-in-law ever. He has a tradition of buying a biker shirt on every trip he is on. He got this on Beale Street at Tater Reds, a freaky little shop. Even though there were babies and little kids running around everywhere they wouldn't let me go through the top part of Beale Street because I forgot my I.D. Luckily, there weren't any cops guarding the far end and we were able to buy this wonderful shirt! ha ha

Sunday we went to church and played Mario Party on the Wii. Really, that is all we did! Zach and his dad were able to go golfing on a really nice country club course up by the temple on Monday. They both said it was one of the nicest courses they have ever played on. Of course, they forgot the camera so we can't enjoy any pictures of it! That night after I got off work we went and had some of Memphis' famous BBQ at Corkys! I never enjoyed BBQ much until I had Corkys. It is delicious.

The next day was Lyndon's last day with us and luckily all but one patient canceled at work so I was able to leave at 10:30 and spend the day with them! They played frisbee golf for the 2 hours that I was at work (and of course forgot the camera again). Lyndon bought another shirt at a Memphis Choppers store, unfortunately we didn't get a picture of it. We had a typical Memphis lack of customer service at Subway that I am so glad Zach's dad got to experience! ha ha. The lady kept asking Lyndon if he wanted his sandwich toasted but all she said was, "toast?" but it sounded more like "tst" with her lack of annunciation and thick accent. Lyndon had to ask "what?" about 4 times and she never tried explaining any better, just kept saying "tst?" Zach and I were trying so hard not to laugh right there. This all happened right after the lady we couldn't understand got done yelling at the other worker for not giving the previous customer a free bag of chips...gotta love it! We took our sandwiches home and played cards and more Mario Party.
Playing baseball, a favorite card game among the Oswald family.
It may look like I am smiling but I was really really mad...I should have totally won that game of Mario Party, stupid bonus stars!!

We had a great time having Zach's dad here! We miss having him around to play games with. I have been truly blessed with the absolute best in laws. We always have so much fun with them and love spending time with them. (Don't worry mom and dad, Zach feels the same way about you guys :) Without Zach's dad, we probably wouldn't own any knives or flash lights, and really, what would life be like with out those essential items? :) In all seriousness though, I couldn't have asked for a better family to marry in to.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hey, do you have Kari's email address? I just noticed she has a private blog!

Tiff Rudd said...

Looks like fun!! I had no idea there was anything like that in Nashville! looks like we had better make a trip! :) Your father-in-law kinda reminds me of mine! I got lucky with the in-laws too!

Hailey said...

Haha, how come I don't have any knives? I have a flashlight or two that I got for Christmas, but Dad hasn't given me any cool knives. It looks like you guys had fun. We all need to come visit you again!

shhluke said...

It sure looks like you all had fun. I want family to come visit us.